Grant and Finance Coordinator
Oxfam in Laos in partnership with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) and through the financial support of Foundation Ensemble (FE) is implementing the “Livelihoods Resilience in Upland Communities” project in Pakbeng and Beng districts of Oudomxay province from October 2016 to September 2019. Oudomxay is the second poorest province in Laos. Most of its upland population depends on agriculture and non-timber forest products for their livelihoods. Communities in Beng and Pakbeng districts are amongst the most vulnerable to disaster risks and climate change effects. The most vulnerable people in these communities are poor or near-poor, landless or land-poor, and entirely reliant on natural resources for their livelihoods.
Purpose of function:
To provide financial management and oversight over major grants, in terms of budget monitoring, forecasting and control, production and analysis of donor financial reports, ensuring compliance to Oxfam Financial Guidelines, donor regulations and procedures, advise on review of policies, systems and internal control measures. To ensure capacity building of finance/program staff as well as partners in-order to effectively and efficiently utilize donor resources and the delivery of the Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS) in both short and longer term. When appropriate the FC will also be providing direct support to the implementation and monitoring of the financial management of the projects and to provide the appraisal and analysis of the necessary financial management of proposals and reports for back-donors.
Under direct line management of the Finance Manager, the FC will have delegated authority over:
§ Taking a leading role in effective budgetary, financial and contract management support to multi-year contracts, more specifically by controlling the budget follow up, update the forecast, ensure consistency between the key allocation matrix and the cost reported to donors, find solutions in coordination with program coordinator for under or over expenditure
§ Ensuring internal and external financial compliance for all contracts are met both in quality and timely delivery.
§ Supporting strategic analysis of grant portfolio and projects to Program Managers, the country Management Team and programmatic teams.
§ Design smart funding strategies to maximise the use of Oxfam unrestricted funds and donors grants.
§ Advising programmatic teams regarding donor requirements and budget design.
§ Ensuring an oversight of capacity assessment of partners and monitoring plans from a financial and compliance point of view.
§ Supporting building capacity of staff and partners in relation to financial grant management.
§ In collaboration with Programme staff and partners, ensuring that project finance management is effective and efficient.
1. Finance Management
· Establish and prepare accurate and timely information for budget monitoring, forecasting and reporting of program funds and grants.
· Provide financial management advice on revisions and creation of budgets, preparing periodical forecasts and any changes needed.
· Identify, develop and implement financial policies, procedures and guidelines which are in line with Oxfam and donor’s requirements.
· Build up financial synergy and efficiency between project by maximizing the smart funding and reduce the overall need of unrestricted comatching
· In close coordination with programmatic sections and program finance officers, provide effective and efficient financial information to ensure that administrative and project expenditure are followed, re-forecasted when necessary and adequately reported.
· Ensure that all new budget respects the minimum Oxfam standards (partnership values, gender, MEL…)
2. Grant Management
· Effectively manage a portfolio of existing contracts to ensure Oxfam in Laos’ compliance with donor requirements
· Analyse and provide advice to programme staff on the donor policies, obligations, and requirements, ensure that all new staff receive an adequate orientation to Oxfam grant management processes, awards, requirements, systems, tools, and donor compliance requirements that are relevant to the role.
· Support learning from compliance to enhance guidelines and capacities internally and with partners.
· Supports the setting up and maintaining of a donor contract management tool to ensure real time and updated information sharing on donor contracts and compliance status.
· Ensure accurate and up to date information for all grants are readily available to line manager and management team in a structured way
3. Donor Compliance and Reporting
· Ensure that key processes are in place so that proposals, formats, eligibility, compliance, reporting, M&E and quality assurance receive optimum attention at the various stages of the award life cycle with a view of securing donor satisfaction.
· In coordination with the Finance team, support master budget development, cost allocation, monitoring of grant budgets, phasing and forecasting, etc…
· Ensure potential issues and amendment requests are flagged promptly to donors via the relevant Oxfam member.
· Ensure that financial donor reporting schedules are tracked and required quality is met, and all donor reports are submitted to Oxfam affiliates and donors on time
· Work with programme and finance teams to ensure narrative reports are adequately linked to financial reports.
4. Partner’s capacity building
· Monitor partners and country office expenses and prepare monthly, quarterly, annually financial reports to the Head Quarter and relevant donors.
· Supports partners capacity assessments and development priorities related to finance and compliance.
· Ensures the implementation of capacity building plans and accountability of staff.
· Supports partners at all stages of the program cycle to ensure comprehension of guidelines and understanding how they can ensure best facilitation of their operations
· Ensure an adequate calendar of partner visits and training is followed.
5. Staff management and capacity building
· Creating a positive working environment in which equality and diversity are well-managed and staff can do their best, enhance collective and individual leadership of the finance team.
· Planning and allocating work, monitoring achievement of deadlines, and supporting staff as appropriate.
· Managing performance and development, mainly through regular supervision sessions and the Performance development review process
· Supports staff in planning their career path and succession planning if possible
· Ensure staff’s skills and knowledge are up to date and suitable for the level of responsibility at the very least
· Recruitment and induction of new staff.
· Coach/mentor staff as necessary
· Provide necessary constructive feedback to staff as necessary
6. Representation and Relationships
· Represents the work of Oxfam in country where appropriate and fosters effective relationships with key external stakeholders;
· Represents Oxfam’s budgets and finances related issues to relevant stakeholders especially partners when requested.
7. Humanitarian preparedness and response:
· Participates in quick assessment of humanitarian needs in case of disasters and participates in writing assessment reports
· Contributes to the reflection of humanitarian response strategies, concept notes and proposal if necessary
· Participates in the delivery of humanitarian response programmes
More information and application procedure:
To apply for this position, please prepare application including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae and send email@example.com or contact us at Oxfam 98/8, Sithong Road, Ban Nongduang-tai Sikhottabong District PO Box: 4723 Tel 021 264 224 . Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
Closing date for applications is on 03 September 2019.