Capacity Building Consultancy
Oxfam in Laos (OiL) is seeking an experienced Consultant to support the Country Office in a variety of fundraising and capacity building related tasks. The Consultant will support strategy development and the design and writing of funding proposals in a variety of thematic areas in which Oxfam works. The Consultant will also support the team across various training needs.
The Invitation to Quote (IQ) is structured as follows
- Terms of reference, the delivery delay, penalties, legal disputes, payment conditions
- Submission procedure: how, when and where to submit, clarifications and contact;
- Decision procedure: Exclusion, evaluation of quotes and award.
The quote must arrive at latest on 28 February 2021 at 5 pm Laos time and stay valid until 12 March 2021 at 5 pm Laos time
Your quote could form the basis for a contract between your company and OS. However, this invitation to quote does not oblige OS to proceed with the actual act of purchasing. No compensation can be claimed in case of non-acceptance of a quote or non-award of a contract.
- Terms of reference
Title: Consultancy to support business development and capacity building in Oxfam in Laos
Location: Remote Work
Duration: 25 March 2021 – 25 March 2022
Oxfam is an international confederation of more than 20 organizations working together with partners and local communities in more than 90 countries. Oxfam has a long and rich presence in Lao PDR, working on numerous initiatives covering a large number of themes and areas. These have included among others: support to CSO capacity building, community development, social protection, gender justice, support to small farmers and organic agriculture, private sector engagement, disaster risk management, and natural resource management. This has entailed working at different levels, from the community to the national level. Currently, Oxfam in Laos has approximately 30 partners including Ministries, the National Assembly, Mass organizations, INGOs, NPA/CSOs, Universities/Research Institutes, UN agencies, and the private sector. Visit https://laos.oxfam.org/ for more information.
- Objectives of the assignment
OiL is seeking an experienced Consultant to support the Country Office in a variety of fundraising and capacity building related tasks. The Consultant will support strategy development and the design and writing of funding proposals in a variety of thematic areas in which OiL works (citizen participation and civil society development; gender justice, and sustainable development and responsible investment). The Consultant will also support the team across various training needs.
The Consultant should have a deep understanding and knowledge of the context and operating environment in Laos as well as OiL’s current portfolio of programing. The Consultant should also be experienced in developing proposals for a variety of institutional donors including the EU, DFAT, MFAT, and SDC.
- Expected Outputs
- Development of project ideas and strategies with OiL program teams based on Oxfam strategies, team objectives and donor interest (e.g. inequality, just economies, gender justice, accountable governance, civic space, climate justice, youth, private sector engagement)
- Development of high quality concept notes on key strategic areas for submission to institutional donors
- Preparation of full proposals for published calls by institutional or internal donors
- Coaching and mentoring to OiL colleagues on a variety of topics including:
- How to plan and prepare for writing a donor report
- Writing for difference audiences (report writing, story gathering)
- Presentation and editing in reports
- How to develop simple surveys to measure impact
- Program management support
- Timeline, Key Activities, and Deliverables
The timeline for the assignment will be up to 60 working days from 25 March 2021 – 25 March 2022 carried out on an intermittent basis, with an average of 5 days per month.
Key Activities include:
- Support design workshops with OiL staff and partners to develop ideas for new concept notes
- Support OiL in analysis of institutional donor strategies and key areas of interest
- Lead on writing concept notes and pitch documents for institutional donors
- Lead on writing proposals for institutional donors and internal Oxfam funding opportunities
- Strategy development
- Conduct remote training for OiL staff on various topics identified in consultation with OiL
- Provide capacity support, mentoring and/or coaching to individual program teams or colleagues as needed
Specific deliverables will be determined in agreement between the Oxfam Partnerships and Quality Manager, the Country Manager, and the Consultant based, on the specific needs that arise during the assignment period. The deliverable schedule for specific outputs will be based on reasonable timeframes, taking into account sharing of notification of funding opportunities as they arise, and expectation of an average of 5 days of availability by the Consultant per month.
- At least 10 years of combined experience in business development and capacity building and training support to local or international NGOs.
- Thematic knowledge in the areas of citizen participation and civil society development, good governance, social protection, gender justice, sustainable development, natural resource management, and responsible investment and private sector engagement in developing country contexts
- Familiarity with and experience writing proposals for a variety of institutional donors including the EU, DFAT, SDC
- At least 5 years of work experience in Laos or the region and deep understanding and knowledge of the context and operating environment in Laos
- Strong understanding of the donor landscape in Laos
- Strong skills in proposal writing in facilitating participatory design workshops with local partners
- Strong interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Master’s degree in development studies, international affairs, or related field.
- Fluency in English
Deadline for submission and validity of the quote The quote must be received no later 28 February 2021 at 5 pm Laos time. Any quotes coming after this deadline can be rejected. 2.3. Where to submit (address for submission of the quote) You can submit your quote by sending an e-mail to: Procurement.Laos@oxfam.org. If you experience e-mail problems please contact HR at +856 20 555 69632.
Please refer to the attached documents for more infromation regarding the consultancy.